Project Hospital
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Fredashay
Fredashay
resident
https://www.spigotmc.org/members/fredashay.38349/

Is there a limit to the number of doctor offices a given department can have? Empty Is there a limit to the number of doctor offices a given department can have?

Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:20 am
I posted the following on the Steam forum a few days ago:  

Is there a limit to the number of doctor offices a given department can have?
I got tired of patients leaving after long waits to see a doctor after coming to the hospital. So I made my ground floor nothing but rows upon rows of doctor offices. I didn't staff all of them yet. Then something strange happened. A patient would see a doctor, then wander around to another office to be followed by the same doctor into a different office, as if the doctor had two offices on different parts of the floor. I tried to solve that problem by staffing that 2nd office but the game said it was already staffed, even though it wasn't. So I deleted that office, and the game deleted several offices as if multiple different offices were linked into being one office even though they weren't near each other. As if some kind of table overflow was occurring in the code. Is this a bug? Or have I pushed the game beyond some limit that the devs never expected a player to do?

A moderator there suggested I submit a bug report here.

To reproduce the bug, load the save file I included with this post and you will see the whole hospital building.  Click down to the ground floor.  You should be facing the main entrance to the clinic area next to the corner where the two streets intersect.  Slide your view to the rear of the clinic area near the bathrooms next to the red doors to the emergency room.  Take note that there are no staff assigned to those rear offices.  Clear some of the doctor offices there next to the bathrooms.  After you clear the rear offices, the game will also clear out some offices in the front near the waiting room and you'll get a pop-up that the doctors have no work space.

I have no mods installed, but I changed the Tweakables to let me have 600 staff.

Also know that this building has been a different hospital in the past.  I like the shape of this building so I gutted the previous hospital leaving only the shell, and built a new hospital inside it -- maybe that confused the game engine by leaving some artifacts behind.

I'm running your game under Steam on Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop.

I've included before and after images, but your forum won't allow me to attach my game save file or the log file.

You can contact me at fredashay (at) ya.oo (dot) com
Attachments
Is there a limit to the number of doctor offices a given department can have? Attachment
Screenshot from 2023-01-31 18-27-52.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(3.2 Mb) Downloaded 0 times

Last edited by Fredashay on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:22 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Because kittens are cute.)
Fredashay
Fredashay
resident

Is there a limit to the number of doctor offices a given department can have? Empty Re: Is there a limit to the number of doctor offices a given department can have?

Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:11 am
I'm gonna try deleting the images and then attaching the game save file and the log.
Attachments
Is there a limit to the number of doctor offices a given department can have? Attachment
Big_City_Hospital_25_WTF_Weirdly_Connected_Rooms.zip Game save fileYou don't have permission to download attachments.(2.3 Mb) Downloaded 1 times

Last edited by Fredashay on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Trying to attach the game save file and the player log)
Fredashay
Fredashay
resident

Is there a limit to the number of doctor offices a given department can have? Empty Re: Is there a limit to the number of doctor offices a given department can have?

Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:21 am
I was able to attach my gave save file, but it said the log is not a valid format.
I tried to submit the log as a reply post, but it is too long.

Desktop is 3440 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
Initialize engine version: 2018.2.7f1 (4ebd28dd9664)
Forcing GfxDevice: OpenGL Core
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Renderer: Quadro K620/PCIe/SSE2
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 525.78.01
GLES: 0
GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect GL_AMD_seamless_cubemap_per_texture GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays GL_ARB_base_instance GL_ARB_bindless_texture GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_buffer_storage GL_ARB_cl_event GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object GL_ARB_clear_texture GL_ARB_clip_control GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_compressed_texture_pixel_storage GL_ARB_conservative_depth GL_ARB_compute_shader GL_ARB_compute_variable_group_size GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_copy_image GL_ARB_cull_distance GL_ARB_debug_output GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_derivative_control GL_ARB_direct_state_access GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_draw_indirect GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_enhanced_layouts GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility GL_ARB_ES3_1_compatibility GL_ARB_ES3_2_compatibility GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_explicit_uniform_location GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions GL_ARB_fragment_layer_viewp
ort GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:50 pm
Hi, thanks for the detailed report!

Looking at the save I can indeed see some of the rooms being connected (the marking covering more physical rooms, sometimes neighboring, sometimes even detached). The next step will be to figure out if this is actually a bug. The system allows quite a bit of freedom when it comes to rooms shapes and it's even 'legal' to have two detached areas that belong to one room, for example if you mark a very long doctor's office and split it by another overlapping one.

So, a quick question: how did you build the ground floor offices? Were you using prefabs for both equipment and the rooms etc.? Any details would be welcome! Smile

And one last note: no, there shouldn't be any limit to the number of doctors at a single department, just the main employee limit.
Fredashay
Fredashay
resident

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:11 am
Well, like I said, this building was once a previous hospital in which I gutted the inside and completely rebuilt it from scratch inside.  So that's probably what happened.  

How did I build the ground floor, you ask?

I don't remember.  That was a long time ago.  It was tricky to get the 2nd and 3rd floors to overhang the ground floor, and then get the upper floors in the shape of a cross.  The roofs kept doing weird things, so I had several false starts.

When I built the ground floor interior for this iteration, I created my own prefab with the doctor's private "office" adjacent to its examination room and marked the two rooms as a single doctor's office in the game.  I kinda know what unique equipment each department needs in its own doctor's office, so I placed all the equipment in that one office to meet the needs of every department so that I could use the same doctor office prefab in all the different departments without having to rearrange equipment for each department.  Once I did that, I just stamped them down like you see in order to create a "block" of offices around "streets" and "avenues."  Then I made a prefab out of the entire block and then stamped that down a few times.  Then I hired doctors as demand increased.  Then weird things started happening and I just figured I exceeded some limit beyond what the devs expected a player to do.  When it deleted different offices on different parts of the floor, I just assumed I caused some index overflow or something.  That's actually the kind of bug I would expect from a table overflow, lol.

Last edited by Fredashay on Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : This sentence is false.)
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum