Project Hospital
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Blarla
intern

[NEED MORE INFO] Micro freezes Empty [NEED MORE INFO] Micro freezes

Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:14 pm
On the discussions board another mentioned about micro freezes inflicting the game after adding floor 3 and I mentioned that my game has always suffered from this issue also, for as long as I can remember.  This occurs on Campaign mode, sandbox and challenges.  

I've noticed that regardless of hospital size the freezes don't get worse or better, they are always the same, I hadn't personally noted it was when level 3 went on, I just know I've always had these freezes which makes the view spin away from where you wanted to be and requires constant repositioning back on the part of the hospital you wanted to view.  I've also witnessed it on other YouTubers series, namely 75PercentRad's videos, he gets them constantly and like me is aggravated by them.

While my hospital is big, with many floors and lots of staff, this problem was around long before my hospital grew this big, and as mentioned inflicts hospitals devs have made.  I upgrade my PC around every 6 months as it is my workhorse for production.  Processing power is key with my machine, so I know it isn't my PC, however I have included my PC details for information.  I have attached the output_log.txt as required and hope that I can help locate this issue for resolution.  I've played PH for over 600 hours with no signs of stopping, so fixing this would be like a dream. XD

PC Stats:
⚬ Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra Gaming
⚬ Processor: AMD Ryzen9 3950X
⚬ RAM: G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 3200MHz 16GB x4
⚬ Storage: OS: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME
⚬ Storage: Mass: Crucial MX500 2TB
⚬ PSU: EVGA 650 GQ
⚬ Graphics: Sapphire Nitro++ 5700XT

Hold On!
I've just typed all this out and then thought about the autosaving.  I'm going to turn it off and see if the freezes stop.  If it is the autosaving, a small autosaving message might be useful, because a small freeze during that time is kinda of expected right?  So maybe it is that.   I'm going to play the game a bunch with that turned off and update this with my findings.
Attachments
[NEED MORE INFO] Micro freezes Attachment
output_log.txt You don't have permission to download attachments.(2.2 Mb) Downloaded 0 times
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

[NEED MORE INFO] Micro freezes Empty Re: [NEED MORE INFO] Micro freezes

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:27 am
Hi Blarla, thanks for the message! The way you're describing the stutters, it could be indeed just the autosave - and yes, we'll probably add a message about these (to make it more clear what's happening) as soon as we send next round of texts for translations (although this might take a while).

In the meantime, could you please try to note when these happen? Autosaves get written at 8 am and 8 pm plus there will be one more (probably shorter) freeze over midnight, when the game generates patients for the next day, processes data from the previous one etc.
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:33 am
Btw - having had a look at 7PpercentRad's latest video - he's playing with a bunch of mods (I think 6 extra departments plus more equipment), these can have a pretty big impact on performance too (maybe a 25-50% hit from what we've seen in other reports).
Blarla
intern

Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:38 pm
I do get frustrated with blaming it on the hospitals being too big, poor PCs, mods or whatever when you have players telling you that they, categorically, have this issue on smaller hospitals, with no mods. I'll have to watch through my older vids of smaller hospitals and dev created hospitals to help illustrate it. The modder James has also confirmed he gets micro freezes on small clinics.

Yes, the end of day does make the game freeze, and it is a big pause but we all know why and it is to be expected. I don't count it as a micro freeze.

I shall do some more testing with the autosave, although early signs show an improvement. The freezes happen frequently but do seem fairly evenly spaced when autosave is on, but they are every couple of mins, not once every 12 in game hours. But yeah, I haven't played enough with these settings since starting to investigate, so will continue that for awhile.

I'd like to recommend using a save symbol, therefore preventing any language translations being required. This is sufficient for most software, not just games and will let the players know why the game is freezing. The vast majority of people are savvy enough to know what a floppy disk icon means or a spinning circle or a custom icon for a game, like Animal Crossing with the bopping island icon in the corner, or the games main character running on the spot, again in the corner. It doesn't need words.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum