Project Hospital
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
OMGtechy
resident

[QUESTION] UI scaling broken Empty [QUESTION] UI scaling broken

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:22 pm
My laptop has a 14" 1440p screen, so I need UI scaling on to make the text legible. However, at the highest settings, things are overlapping all over the place. See screenshot below:[QUESTION] UI scaling broken Untitl12
OMGtechy
resident

[QUESTION] UI scaling broken Empty Re: [QUESTION] UI scaling broken

Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:30 pm
As a result of this, some buttons can't be clicked and patient information doesn't fit on the screen.
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:58 am
Hi, thanks for the report - the manual UI scale override needs to have quite a big range to be able to cover for example even 4K resolution on a small laptop screen. Unfortunately the game only has information about the resolution, not the physical screen size, so the automatic scale is set to "a good compromise", but won't be ideal in all cases. Also, we're aware of players that want/need to resize the panels as much as possible, so it would be hard to set a limit that would satisfy everybody.

OMGtechy
resident

Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:33 am
Hello,

I feel you've misunderstood. I'm not randomly testing its limits, I'm genuinely trying to use it at that setting. It needs to be set that high for me to play on my laptop. The problem I'm reporting is that the UI elements start to overlap and such, which should equally apply to other resolutions (unless there's other bugs in scaling)

So far I've been able to play by using another machine or squinting a lot. Obviously this isn't practical. The bug I'm reporting can be rephrased like this: UI elements overlap at highest UI scaling settings.

At this level of scaling, I understand you're low on space. However, there is a lot of 'margin' between elements and therefore some improvements can be made. Perhaps some less important UI elements could be collapsed or even discarded if there's still no room.

Thanks
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:00 pm
Hi, I see, thanks for the update.

Basically the sliders are not designed to be maxed out in 1440p, only in 4k if needed. But to give you some recommendation/a better picture: generally you should be able to increase the UI scale by around 10% compared to default settings while still fitting everything on the screen, also please note you can adjust the scale of the main panel individually.

In the meantime we're managing to improve some individual bits of the UI from time to time (automatic resizing in building mode, we'll probably also add scrolling to insurance panel soon), but I don't think it will be realistic to rework some parts like the patient's card, so that will probably stay a limiting factor. Showing all the information that needs to be displayed to the player at once has always been a challenge in the UI design of Project Hospital and the main reason why the recommended screen size that we show on Steam is 24".
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum