Project Hospital
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
projecthospitalmac
intern

[QUESTION] Game running slowly even on good system Empty [QUESTION] Game running slowly even on good system

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:21 am
Hello! Don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here.
Currently, I have a decked-out game with lots of mods, 12 floors, and 1200 staff. Currently, the game runs sort of fine, with a choppy framerate. I have a 9750H 6C 12T CPU and a RTX 2060. I noticed the bottleneck is my CPU as one of the threads is decked at 100% while the others are at around 20%. GPU runs at 30% at most. I am wondering if there is a way to make the game use more CPU cores and run faster, or any other settings or info I need to know. Thanks!
jan.oxymoron
jan.oxymoron
developer

[QUESTION] Game running slowly even on good system Empty Re: [QUESTION] Game running slowly even on good system

Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:13 pm
Hi, thanks for reaching out - well, this is a pretty complex topic, so let me try to give you some details/different angles. Smile

First, let's not beat around the bush, the game has been balanced/optimized around its original 250 employee limit (although on older hardware, this later increased to 400 and 600) and the CPU load will obviously increase with the number of patients and staff. Unfortunately unlike with GPU load, there's not much that can be tweaked on the user side.

One thing you can have a look at is the list of installed mods and unsubscribe from ones that you're not actively using, that can help a bit with both memory (mostly) and CPU usage. Also, building on a smaller map and adding more floors instead could give slightly better results too.

FYI - when it comes to multithreading, the game offloads some demanding tasks like pathfinding and lighting updates on individual floors to threads and can in some cases use the whole CPU, but like with most Unity games, there's still a main thread that runs the whole hospital simulation task. Unfortunately building such complex gameplay systems from the get go as multithreaded, while technically possible, wouldn't be an easy task and could easily double development time, which wasn't really an option for us before release. Still, I'm pretty happy with the results given the circumstances and hopefully future hardware will improve the experience also for heavily modded scenarios. Smile
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum